Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Cooling woes

Monday, April 7, 2010

Joey pulled upper and lower radiator hoses off and tried to run water through, with no results. Due to the large amount of visible rust flakes, we pulled out the radiator, fan, water pump, and thermostat. We were both amazed at how easy all of the bolts came out, but then JOEY snapped off BOTH thermo-housing bolts. The valve cover is also the head, so I am not crazy about pulling that to back out the snapped bolts. I am starting to ask myself why I am so fixated on the cooling system first…oh, yeah, because I live in Arizona!

Checker only has a 180ยบ thermostat, so I might have to order one, as well as the funky metal spring cuff that holds the thermo in place in the housing. Just in time for such needs, my new Kaiser Willys Auto Supply catalog arrived in the mail. To get yours, call 1-888-648-4923—Mike is great! I picked up some cooling system cleaner and some acetone to clean out the gas tank. I am going to have Darryl work his magic on my snapped bolts tomorrow. Maybe Friday I can get around to dropping the gas tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment